I put this list together for Facebook. It’s like one of those emails where you answer a bunch of questions and send it out to your friends, who are in turn supposed to answer the same questions and pass it on. This one is a bit different, because there are no questions — just 25 random things about me. Anyway, I had fun thinking of these things, so I thought I would post it here as well, for those of you who are Facebook-impaired. Enjoy!
1. I have always wanted to own and run a dude ranch, although I’ve never been to one.
2. I ran off the stage and refused to dance in my first dance recital. My mother was mortified — she owned the studio.
3. As a child, my goal in life was to be on Saturday Night Live.
4. The celebrity people most often say I resemble is Jim Carrey. Thanks, guys.
5. My favorite sound is my son’s laughter. He’s laughing at the dog right now!
6. I LOVED being pregnant. I can say that now, since I’ve lost most of my weight.
7. I have never drunk a glass of milk.
8. The third best day of my life is when I learned that I passed the bar exam.
9. My birthday is 5/15 and my husband’s is 6/16.
10. I absolutely loved being a lawyer, and I haven’t missed it one day since Frank was born.
11. I grew taller than my sister when I was 12 and she was 21.
12. I have clothes in my closet spanning 5 sizes, all of which fit me.
13. The farthest I have ever traveled was to Australia.
14. My favorite time of day is when Frank first wakes up, although his bedtime is a very close second!
15. I have had dreams in which I am friends with the gang from Beverly Hills 90210.
16. I completed the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk (60 miles).
17. I have had the same two best friends since grade school.
18. I spent my 22nd birthday at the Vatican.
19. The first memory I have is of my mother finding out her mother passed away. I was 3.
20. I had been to Lawrence, Kansas exactly once before I showed up on my first day of law school.
21. I have a tattoo and everytime I see it in the mirror, I freak out because I’ve forgotten about it.
22. I would eat anything on the menu at a Mexican restaurant, except flan. YUCK.
23. My drink of choice is a margarita on the rocks with salt.
24. I talk to my mother at least once every two days. Usually more.
25. My husband first proposed to me via blackberry email on November 5, 2002. We had known each other for 10 weeks and had not been on a date. Three years and 4 weeks later, we were married! (Don’t worry, he proposed again on Feb. 16, 2005 with a ring and everything!)
Regardless of your politics, today is a historic day. I am filled with all kinds of emotions as I watch the Inauguration of our new president: hope, joy, anxiety, humility, uncertainty, relief, pride…I could go on. I am also glad that I am home today so I can watch it all unfold on my television, rather than having to watch it on my computer from work. There is a small part of me that wishes I was in DC to see it all live, but it looks pretty cold and super crowded, so maybe not!
I discussed the import of the day with Frank this morning while we cuddled in my warm bed watching the Today Show. I know he didn’t understand anything I was saying, but I couldn’t help but use the opportunity for a current events lesson! What struck me as I was talking to him about Barack Obama becoming the first African American president is that by the time he is old enough to know what is going on, this fact will no longer be shocking. I love that! I love that my children will never know a time when the president of the United States was always an “old, white guy.” I know that Frank will see a female president and a Hispanic president in his lifetime. And, maybe by the time Frank works his way up the ladder to the presidency himself, it will be time again for an “old, white guy”!
Well, I’m going back to my TV now while Frank is sleeping. Congratulations and welcome, Mr. President. We will be praying for you and your family as you enter this prestigious and humbling high office.
Wow! I have no idea what I’m doing. I am suddenly speechless, although I always seem to think I have a lot to say… Here’s a picture of my cute family.
I’m going to use this first post to try out some things like posting pictures and stuff. I’m not sure how often I’ll post in the future, but I guess I’ll only do it when I have something relevant to share. In the meantime, thanks for visiting. If you are here, it is because you know us pretty well, so you’ve probably seen a ton of Frank photos. How about a good one of Emmitt? This was taken back when he was an only child.
Emmitt has actually turned out to be a great big brother to Frank. They get along really well, and Emmitt even lets Frank pet him somewhat aggressively. Frank is big into textures right now (I say with authority, as if I know anything about children), so he comes after Emmitt with great intensity and grabs folds of skin or tiny hairs. Let’s just say, when Frank grabs my folds of skin and my hair, I freak out. Emmitt, however, takes it all in stride and never seems bothered. What a great dog. I feel really bad that he has been pushed down the totem pole since Frank came along. But, hey, it’s better than being at the Humane Society, right?!
Welcome to Ashley & Heath’s family blog!
We’ve just started, so bear with us while we add some content. And don’t be surprised if it looks different when you return. We’ll be playing around with it until we get it right.